BE A NEW MEMBER COORDINATOR The BSA has announced a new position! The New Member Coordinator volunteer opportunity was created after listening to parents who are currently serving in their units. The position can be filled by more than one person which appeals to many adults who are currently participating in our programs with their child. To learn more check out the information found on the Marketing and Membership Hub at Scouting Wire. Training for the position can be found at the BSA Learn Center on My.Scouting.Org.
Why is our recruiting focus on Cub Scouts?
- In 2011 93% of Boy Scouts began their journey as in Cub Scouts
- In 2016 83.4% of our Eagle Scouts began as Cub Scouts
How do we know that being part of the Boy Scout program really works when talking about positive character development? Because we prove it. Check out the 2015 from Tuft's University study that tracked youth involved in Scouts along with those who are not involved. A summary of the results can be found here.
Check out the Marketing and Membership Hub. A great resource with recruiting tools, resources and materials to help build and strengthen your unit. Find out how to use social media to get your message out. Review recent case studies on recruiting techniques used in other parts of the country and how what they found can help you!
Inside information to share about Boy Scouts
- Facts About Scouting
- Famous Boy Scouts
- Eagle Scouts: Merit Beyond the Badge
- Boy Scout Statistics from the Statistic Brain Research Institute
We all believe that being involved with Boy Scouts helps build a better boy and now there is proof of character development. Check out the study released in 2015 from Tuft's University that tracks youth involved in Scouts along with those who are not involved. A summary of the results can be found here.
Get to know the families in your community: MILLENNIALS
Millennials, or Generation Y, is a term used to describe those who reached adulthood around the year 2000 or after. To attract Millennials and their families to the Scouting program we need to understand their needs, desires and outlook on life. Millennials are looking for a long term commitment to a program that is well-organized and easily fits into their lifestyle. We are that program.
Here is some information on Millennials to help with communication:
- The Marketing Toolbox on the National Site: "Millennials & Why They're Important to the BSA"
- Welcoming Millennial Moms to Cub Scouting click here
- Recruiting Millennial Parents: What We Know and What We Can Do pdf click here
- Wikipedia: Millennials
- The Washington Post: "Eight Things Millennials Want and Don't Want"
- Survey: Most Millennials Find News Via Social Media
- Network for Good: The Millennial Playbook
Experience-Oriented Scouting: Create membership growth and retention by enhancing programs and services for members that lead to life-changing experiences young people can't get anywhere else. Millennials like to try things out before they commit. Invite new families to join in activities and outings that your unit has already planned. Follow up the following week and invite them back for another activity and a chance to register!
Always, always, always encourage the boys to #BringAFriend along!
A 2013 survey of 1600 families found that more than half of parents agree with the statement: "The BSA offers life changing experiences you can’t get anywhere else."
The top two reasons families told us they join Scouting: BeAScout UnitPin Management
- Confidence and character building
- Scouting encourages leadership and exposes kids to a broad range of hobbies and skills
EVERYONE is responsible for building our membership base. The number one reason given why families do not join is because no one asked. Ask a family to join today!
"A company's most valuable customers are customers who are both excellent buyers and marketers." - Harvard Business Review
A strong unit will attract families. A strong unit has a plan and involves everyone. Here are some tools to help a unit get started on being the best they can be:
- Unit plan: Cub Scouts Dream Big
- New Member Coordinator
- 2017 Chief Seattle Market Analysis
- pdf Update PIN on BeAScout and activate online application
- Educate yourself:
- Ignite Your Membership workshops
- Program and Training Conference classes
- Fall Cub Scout Recruiting workshop
- District Executive
Chief Seattle Council does have a Membership Plan, pdf check it out!